MCF7/164R-1 Cell Line
- Name Anne Lykkesfeldt
- Institute Danish Cancer Society
Tool name: MCF7/164R-1 Cell Line
Tool type: Cell Lines
Tool sub-type: Continuous
Parental cell line: MCF7 S0.5
Cancer type: Breast cancer, fulvestrant resistant
Description: The MCF7/164R-1 Cell line is a breast cancer cell line resistant to fulvestrant. Treatment with the steroidal antiestrogen fulvestrant has proven effective upon progression on tamoxifen therapy and is now approved for second-line treatment after tamoxifen or aromatase inhibitors. As for tamoxifen treatment of advanced breast cancer, resistance will inevitably occur also for fulvestrant. Clarification of the molecular changes associated with the resistant growth is needed to find targeted treatments to resistant tumour cells and treatments that can inhibit or delay the emergence of resistance.
Research area: Cancer ; Drug Discovery & Development
- For Research Use Only
- • Thrane et al. 2015. Oncogene. 34(32):4199-210. PMID: 25362855.
- • A kinase inhibitor screen identifies Mcl-1 and Aurora kinase A as novel treatment targets in antiestrogen-resistant breast cancer cells.
- • Sonne-Hansen et al. 2010. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 121(3):601-13. PMID: 19697122.
- • Breast cancer cells can switch between estrogen receptor alpha and ErbB signaling and combined treatment against both signaling pathways postpones development of resistance.
- • Frogne et al. 2009. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 114(2):263-75. PMID: 18409071.
- • Activation of ErbB3, EGFR and Erk is essential for growth of human breast cancer cell lines with acquired resistance to fulvestrant.
- • Madsen et al. 1997. Cancer Res. 57(4):585-9. PMID: 9044830.
- • Estrogen receptor messenger RNA splice variants are not involved in antiestrogen resistance in sublines of MCF-7 human breast cancer cells.
- • Lykkesfeldt et al. 1995. Int J Cancer. 61(4):529-34. PMID: 7759159.
- • Human breast cancer cell lines resistant to pure anti-estrogens are sensitive to tamoxifen treatment.