MCF7/LetR-2 Cell Line
- Name Anne Lykkesfeldt
- Institute Danish Cancer Society
Tool name: MCF7/LetR-2 Cell Line
Tool type: Cell Lines
Tool sub-type: Continuous
Parental cell line: MCF7
Cancer type: Breast Cancer
Description: The MCF7/LetR-2 Cell Line was developed as a model of resistance to anti-cancer treatment with aromatase inhibitors. Third generation aromatase inhibitors (AIs) have proven to be effective treatment for estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer and are today recommended as first line endocrine therapy for postmenopausal ER+ breast cancer patients, making up the majority of breast cancer patients. However, a major problem is development of resistance against AIs. Since molecular mechanisms of AI resistance are largely undisclosed, the development of cell lines resistant to the non-steroidal AI letrozole allows the study of the molecular basis for resistance to AIs to unravel new targets for treatment.
Research area: Cancer ; Drug Discovery & Development
- For Research Use Only
- • Hole et al. 2015. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 149(3):715-26. PMID: 25667100.
- • Hole et al. 2015. Int J Oncol. 46(4):1481-90. PMID: 25625755.
- • Aurora kinase A and B as new treatment targets in aromatase inhibitor-resistant breast cancer cells.
- • New cell culture model for aromatase inhibitor-resistant breast cancer shows sensitivity to fulvestrant treatment and cross-resistance between letrozole and exemestane.