- Name Anne Lykkesfeldt
- Institute Danish Cancer Society
- Tool name: MCF7/AnaR-2 Cell Line
- Tool type: Cell Lines
- Tool sub-type: Continuous
- Parental cell line: MCF7
- Organism: Human
- Tissue: Breast
- Cancer type: Breast
- Disease: Cancer
- Growth properties: Breast cancer cell line resistant to the aromatase inhibitor anastrozole. Estrogen receptor positive.
- Conditional: No
- Description: The MCF7/AnaR-2 Cell Line was developed as a model of resistance to anti-cancer treatment with aromatase inhibitors. Third generation aromatase inhibitors (AIs) have proven to be effective treatment for estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer and are today recommended as first line endocrine therapy for postmenopausal ER+ breast cancer patients, making up the majority of breast cancer patients. However, a major problem is development of resistance against AIs. Since molecular mechanisms of AI resistance are largely undisclosed, the development of cell lines resistant to the non-steroidal AI anastrozole allows the study of the molecular basis for resistance to AIs to unravel new targets for treatment. Human breast cancer cell line derived from MCF7 cells
- Research area: Cancer; Drug Discovery & Development
- Production details: Anastrozole-resistant cell lines were established from MCF7 cells grown in medium with 10% NCS and 10Ă˘ÂÂ7 M testosterone. A culture of MCF7 cells were treated with 10Ă˘ÂÂ7 M anastrozole for one week, trypsinized and seeded in serial dilutions in 24-well plates. Single colonies were transferred to new wells and gradually expanded in medium with anastrozole. After ~2Ă˘ÂÂ3 months, the isolated colonies gave rise to anastrozole-resistant cell lines, which could be grown in anastrozole-containing medium with a weekly split ratio of ~1:25. The MCF7 cell line was authenticated in January 2014 by DNA profiling using short tandem repeat loci and found to be matching the genetic profile reported for the MCF7 cell line.
- Cellosaurus ID: CVCL_5A10
- For Research Use Only
- Target: Anastrozole resistance
- Application notes: Human breast cancer cell line derived from MCF7 cells Other related cell lines: - LetR-1, LetR-2, LetR-3 and LetR-4 resistant to the non-steroidal AI letrozole - ExeR-1, ExeR-2, ExeR-3 and ExeR-4 resistant to the steroidal AI exemestane - AnaR-1, AnaR-3 and AnaR-4 resistant to the non-steroidal AI anastrozole Passage 431 (AL3977, AL3978)
- Format: Frozen
- Passage number: Passage 431 (AL3977, AL3978)
- Growth medium: Phenol-red-free DMEM/F12 medium supplemented with 10% newborn calf serum, 2.5 mM Glutamax, 6 ng/ ml insulin, 0.1 uM testosterone and 0.1 uM anastrozole.
- Shipping conditions: Dry ice
- • Hole et al. 2015. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 149(3):715-26. PMID: 25667100.
- • Hole et al. 2015. Int J Oncol. 46(4):1481-90. PMID: 25625755.
- • Aurora kinase A and B as new treatment targets in aromatase inhibitor-resistant breast cancer cells.
- • New cell culture model for aromatase inhibitor-resistant breast cancer shows sensitivity to fulvestrant treatment and cross-resistance between letrozole and exemestane.