MCF7/ExeR-3 Cell Line
- Name Anne Lykkesfeldt
- Institute Danish Cancer Society
Tool name: MCF7/ExeR-3 Cell Line
Tool type: Cell Lines
Tool sub-type: Continuous
Parental cell line: MCF7
Cancer type: Breast Cancer
Description: The MCF7/ExeR-3 Cell Line was developed as a model of resistance to anti-cancer treatment with aromatase inhibitors.Third generation aromatase inhibitors (AIs) have proven to be effective treatment for estrogen receptor positive (ER+) breast cancer and are today recommended as first line endocrine therapy for postmenopausal ER+ breast cancer patients, making up the majority of breast cancer patients. However, a major problem is development of resistance against AIs. Since molecular mechanisms of AI resistance are largely undisclosed, the development of cell lines resistant to the steroidal AI exemestane allows the study of the molecular basis for resistance to AIs to unravel new targets for treatment.
Research area: Cancer ; Drug Discovery & Development
- For Research Use Only
- • Hole et al. 2015. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 149(3):715-26. PMID: 25667100.
- • Hole et al. 2015. Int J Oncol. 46(4):1481-90. PMID: 25625755.
- • Aurora kinase A and B as new treatment targets in aromatase inhibitor-resistant breast cancer cells.
- • New cell culture model for aromatase inhibitor-resistant breast cancer shows sensitivity to fulvestrant treatment and cross-resistance between letrozole and exemestane.