- Name Gillian Tozer
- Institute University of Sheffield
- Tool name: Mouse fibrosarcoma Luciferase2 mStrawberry VEGF120 Cell Line
- Alternate names: VEGF-A, VEGF12, VEGF164, VEGF188
- Tool type: Cell Lines
- Tool sub-type: Continuous
- Parental cell line: MEF
- Organism: Mouse
- Tissue: Embryo
- Disease: Cancer
- Growth properties: Adherent
- Model: Immortalised Line
- Conditional: No
- Description: Mouse fibrosarcoma cell lines that are capable of expressing all vascular endothelial growth factor (VEGF) isoforms (control) or only single isoforms of VEGF (VEGF120, VEGF164, or VEGF188) were developed under endogenous VEGF promoter control. The original rationale for the development of these cell lines relates to the fact that tubulin-binding vascular-disrupting agents (VDA) are currently in clinical trials for cancer therapy but the factors that influence tumour susceptibility to these agents are poorly understood. Researchers evaluated the consequences of modifying tumour vascular morphology and function on vascular and therapeutic response to combretastatin-A4 3-O-phosphate (CA-4-P), which was chosen as a model VDA. The cell lines themselves could be potentially valuable for the commercial/pharmaceutical industry.
- Research area: Cancer; Cell Signaling & Signal Transduction; Developmental Biology; Drug Discovery & Development; Metabolism
- Production details: Using Cre/Lox technology, mice expressing all or only single isoforms of VEGF, known as Vegfa120/120, Vegfa164/164, and Vegfa188/188 mice were developed. Primary fibroblasts were isolated from mouse embryos that were produced by heterozygous breeding pairs of mice expressing single or all isoforms of vascular endothelial growth factor-A (VEGF-A) on Swiss background. Fibroblasts were immortalized and oncogenically transformed by retroviral transduction with SV40 and HRAS using Lipofetamine 2000 (characterised in Tozer et al., 2008. Cancer Res; 68: (7)). mStrawberry positive cells were processed through 3 rounds of FACS (BD FACS ARIA). Bioluminescence output for each cell (p/s/cell) was measured through playing serial dilutions of the fibrosaroma-LS cell lines using complete medium (100ul) which had 50 ul D-Luciferin (0.6 mg/ml) added just before IVIS LUmina II measurement. Secondary development has modified the original cell lines to express Luciferase2 and mStrawberry to allow optical imaging of tumour deposits.
- Cellosaurus ID: CVCL_HG19
- For Research Use Only
- • Differential Expression of VEGFA Isoforms Regulates Metastasis and Response to Anti-VEGFA Therapy in Sarcoma. English et al. 2017. Cancer Res. 77(10):2633-2646. PMID: 28377452.
- • Differential Expression of VEGFA Isoforms Regulates Metastasis and Response to Anti-VEGFA Therapy in Sarcoma.